Want to help Shop Heroes?

Stay up to date with the latest Shop Heroes news and events.
cc_Tadaaah
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Want to help Shop Heroes?

Postby cc_Tadaaah » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:19 am

Hey ShopKeepers!

Thank you for your continued support! As you know, we're on Steam.

To keep the positive actions going, please go and drop a positive review and don't forget to mark other positive reviews as helpful. :) This helps spread word of mouth and let's new folks know there's more to the game.

Again, thank you for your continuous support and we wouldn't be this awesome without you!

Mr. Door

Re: Want to help Shop Heroes?

Postby Mr. Door » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:42 pm

I did my part! It's a shame to see all the white knights who think they're defending Steam's virtue. Understand the spirit in which I say this, because "will shop heroes ever come to steam" is something you could find in my google search history if you went back far enough, but steam is already a garbage pit full of half baked games. What are they defending? I love that I can play Shop Heroes on that platform now, but come on, there are literally thousands of games more deserving of the vitriol.

I do think Clouodcade could do a little more, both in-game and out, to help new players understand what it is they're playing. "Idle" or "clicker" should probably be one of the tags (or more accurately "semi-idle," if such a tag existed). A lot of what you do in Shop Heroes is set an action in motion, and then wait for it to happen. The fact that you can spend gems on basically everything makes it look like there are pay walls everywhere, when really what new players should be doing is learning how to wait.

WingDingo
"Epic" Mastery Member

Postby WingDingo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:12 pm

While I agree that there is a general troll patrol going on with the reviews because this game (and I'd assume literally any game that makes it onto Steam will feel an equal level of blind Downvote and Negative Review) is:

1.) Available on mobile devices.
2.) Available on other desktop platforms.
3.) Contains micro-transactions.

It isn't completely as though Shop Heroes isn't 100% guilt free. I've scanned over the reviews. I am confident that any player who is genuinely giving the game an unbiased first play is going to encounter the same issues that all new players have faced-- a lack of knowledge of the game. If each new player had someone standing over their shoulder for 5 or 10 minutes to point out why what they assume is a flaw in the game can in fact be circumvented, everything would be dandy. The fact still remains, there are a significant number of instances where players are presented with the, "You're empty. Pay gems to refill." What Shop Heroes does do that other games don't do, is give you an option to pay Gold to get out of that rut. The problem is, that Gold option is not in the pop-up; the Gem option is.

The 3 major instances of this are:
1.) Out of Basic Resources.
2.) Out of Energy (Hearts).
3.) Broken Equipment.

When you are out of Artifacts (Questing Resources), the game brings you to the Inn or gives you the option to buy them at the Trade House. This type of behavior should be repeated. If you are out of Basic Resources, prompt the player to go to the Building that provides that resource so they can pay for the boost (in addition to the gem option). If you are out of Energy, in with the Gem prompt say, "Discount items or place Racks of the appropriate item type when selling items."

Breaking equipment and being with a Gem Only repair function has been a frustration that doesn't have an elegant solution. I haven't see any of the Steam reviews complain about this, because that would imply they actually played the game long enough to see an item break. It siphons gems, and I have seen forum posts in the past about this, and expect to see more pop up in the next few days (if not already on the Steam forum).

akerson
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Postby akerson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:23 pm

WingDingo wrote:While I agree that there is a general troll patrol going on with the reviews because this game (and I'd assume literally any game that makes it onto Steam will feel an equal level of blind Downvote and Negative Review) is:

1.) Available on mobile devices.
2.) Available on other desktop platforms.
3.) Contains micro-transactions.

It isn't completely as though Shop Heroes isn't 100% guilt free. I've scanned over the reviews. I am confident that any player who is genuinely giving the game an unbiased first play is going to encounter the same issues that all new players have faced-- a lack of knowledge of the game. If each new player had someone standing over their shoulder for 5 or 10 minutes to point out why what they assume is a flaw in the game can in fact be circumvented, everything would be dandy. The fact still remains, there are a significant number of instances where players are presented with the, "You're empty. Pay gems to refill." What Shop Heroes does do that other games don't do, is give you an option to pay Gold to get out of that rut. The problem is, that Gold option is not in the pop-up; the Gem option is.

3.) Broken Equipment.

When you are out of Artifacts (Questing Resources), the game brings you to the Inn or gives you the option to buy them at the Trade House. This type of behavior should be repeated. If you are out of Basic Resources, prompt the player to go to the Building that provides that resource so they can pay for the boost (in addition to the gem option). If you are out of Energy, in with the Gem prompt say, "Discount items or place Racks of the appropriate item type when selling items."

Breaking equipment and being with a Gem Only repair function has been a frustration that doesn't have an elegant solution. I haven't see any of the Steam reviews complain about this, because that would imply they actually played the game long enough to see an item break. It siphons gems, and I have seen forum posts in the past about this, and expect to see more pop up in the next few days (if not already on the Steam forum).

Honesty, and this might be an unpopular opinion, but this game is super greedy about asking people to buy gems. IMO gems to reduce rest and gems to fix gear should both be removed -- literally no one SHOULD ever use these, they both feel extremely P2W at first glance (oh something bad happened, let me pay money to stop it!), and they give an extremely bad connotation.

I'm gonna give a positive review and I upvoted a bunch of really good reviews, but I totally get some players viewpoints -- this game IS a mobile game ported more as a fanservice to players than as a real growth outlet. Thats not to say I don't love it (because I definitely do), but I feel like it's trying to convince the football team why D&D is fun. It's a F2P with microtransactions with an inability to sit down and play for extended periods of time is definitely different on the steam games, and calling it a MMO RPG in the tags (thanks users!) is going to bring haters.
"I believe the forum ban was deserved, as he has been out of line, and warned.

I believe a permanent game ban was out of line."

-Abqu

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:04 pm

akerson wrote:I'm gonna give a positive review and I upvoted a bunch of really good reviews, but I totally get some players viewpoints -- this game IS a mobile game ported more as a fanservice to players than as a real growth outlet. Thats not to say I don't love it (because I definitely do), but I feel like it's trying to convince the football team why D&D is fun. It's a F2P with microtransactions with an inability to sit down and play for extended periods of time is definitely different on the steam games, and calling it a MMO RPG in the tags (thanks users!) is going to bring haters.

- AFAIK it was on facebook in beta months before it went beta on android (IIRC people where already at the then cap of lvl 40 when I started in august 2015)
- this game is way more "constant play" than mobile games I've played. It probably "helps" that I'm setting different things with different craft times crafting and the same for the cauldron and quests, so I don't have synced crafts/quest etc.
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Richard
Community Moderator

Postby Richard » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:34 pm

Shiroe wrote:- AFAIK it was on facebook in beta months before it went beta on android (IIRC people where already at the then cap of lvl 40 when I started in august 2015)

Yes. Shop Heroes was available only on Facebook before it was brought to Android and eventually iOS, Amazon and Kongregate.
Kong: TheCongressman | Reddit: Zesty_Hamburger | In-Game: Richard#73188 | Shop Heroes Discord Server | Shop Heroes Data Spreadsheet

WingDingo
"Epic" Mastery Member

Postby WingDingo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:39 am

I should also mention that I have left a positive review with a realistic explanation of the functionality of the game. I've also been an avid downvote and upvote fairy in the Steam Reviews since the game has released. I got your back. I love Shop Heroes. But there's an awful lot of hidden information and work-arounds. It's because it has those work-arounds that make it superior to the other games in it's genres.

I'm trying to sit in World Chat and help people as much as I can. In 9 out of 10 cases, I'm able to easily help people. The other 10th case, I get into arguments with people over mechanics they don't completely understand. The most recent argument was regarding how Net Worth is calculated. I try to give all of my answers in a single block of text on World Chat. Also 9 times out of 10 that's sufficient, but incomplete information. I say, "Net Worth is increased by spending gold anywhere but the Trade House. Refresh your game to update it." While I know, and a lot of other people know that is incomplete, but mostly correct information, it will allow literally every player in the game to increase their net worth. They will stop expecting spending gold in the Trade House to increase their net worth, know they need to spend it, gold in hand doesn't count, and they need to refresh their game. And people hate, hate, hate, being told to look at an FAQ or external site.

I streamed on Tuesday, and Wednesday. I'm going to try to do some more streams today and the rest of the days. I think that I might have to make a new account to do this. I personally get frustrated with how long the craft times take at my level, and how much gold I need to spend to obtain gems. I can get ~2000~4000 gems per week depending on the Trade House and my willingness to grind items. When I have that bumper to play with, it's more entertaining for me to play, and probably for players to watch. When I'm sitting at 0 gems and 0 gold, working my way out of a ditch, it's harder to showcase anything at will.

It may also logically make sense to show new players how to play using a low level account.

YamNoOnus

Postby YamNoOnus » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:56 pm

If you wanna get decent Steam reviews why not add new skins for characters. Skins that add zero functionality and have no real purpose but people can sell for hundreds (if not thousands) of real life dollars.

And they complain about mobile games being the problem.

Lahrs

Postby Lahrs » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:55 am

I too have posted a positive review, based on personal opinion.

Read any gaming forum, anywhere, and you will find SOMEONE that objects to someone else's form of entertainment. People on Steam will complain for the preservation of what they deem to be good and bad for Steam, not much that anyone can do about that except counter with positive reviews.

Now that the game is on Steam, I admit I now have higher expectations for added content, improved UI, new chat features, etc., but all in due time.

astle
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby astle » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:40 am

Well I personally came here through Steam when accidently met a thread about Shop Heroes on some game forum.

It's not an idle game at all first few days or even couple of weeks. When you can boost everything in your own city you growing very fast.
I wish I knew I could convert starting gems to gold and didn't spent them to open few wooden and leather chests .
Then someone told me about C+F fusion. Great source of income, once you understood items' rarity and values.

Totally agreed with WingDingo and akerson.

WingDingo wrote: The problem is, that Gold option is not in the pop-up; the Gem option is.

3.) Broken Equipment.

So true, and still undone.

WingDingo wrote:I should also mention that I have left a positive review with a realistic explanation of the functionality of the game. I've also been an avid downvote and upvote fairy in the Steam Reviews since the game has released. I got your back. I love Shop Heroes. But there's an awful lot of hidden information and work-arounds. It's because it has those work-arounds that make it superior to the other games in it's genres.

I'm trying to sit in World Chat and help people as much as I can. In 9 out of 10 cases, I'm able to easily help people. The other 10th case, I get into arguments with people over mechanics they don't completely understand. The most recent argument was regarding how Net Worth is calculated. I try to give all of my answers in a single block of text on World Chat. Also 9 times out of 10 that's sufficient, but incomplete information. I say, "Net Worth is increased by spending gold anywhere but the Trade House. Refresh your game to update it." While I know, and a lot of other people know that is incomplete, but mostly correct information, it will allow literally every player in the game to increase their net worth. They will stop expecting spending gold in the Trade House to increase their net worth, know they need to spend it, gold in hand doesn't count, and they need to refresh their game. And people hate, hate, hate, being told to look at an FAQ or external site.

This game definitely needs more in-game noob-friendly tips. Though when I was in need of information I lurked like crazy and it wasn't so hard to get things, Richard's Spreadsheet and Strategies sub-forum gives you pretty much everything you need.

Return to “News & Announcements”