Shop Heroes Wiki Revamp Project

Discuss anything related to Shop Heroes gameplay.
akkordovich

Re: Shop Heroes Wiki Revamp Project

Postby akkordovich » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Cloudcade wrote:All great points made here, if we can leverage the content in the existing spreadsheet to display it in a Wiki-like format with images, that would be the most effective solution.

Ok, i'll try to do this at first for items directory for 2 languages. If result will be acceptable - i'll continue.

Cloudcade wrote:All of the dozen+ languages that we currently support within the game have been professionally translated, with a handful of those languages having gone through thorough localization where the resources were available. But if you are referring to strings/texts not currently in the game, we can perhaps figure out a way to format and translate accordingly using the same resources we have for in-game strings.

Yes, i strictly mean non-game texts - which are available now on current resources. But anyway, at first we should make all information up-to-date, so CM team's help from your side will be needed.

Orblit

Postby Orblit » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:55 pm

Cloudcade wrote:
akkordovich wrote:
Shiroe wrote:It just isn't a wiki or works with the wiki concept of everybody being able edit it... (if an edit would conflict with the database info, which would be leading?)

IMHO, there should be 2 parts of Wiki:
1) Based on Cloudcade game database - non-editable, only automatically generated (blueprints, heroes, precrafts, etc), because no one can know this better, than creator ;) )
2) Knowledge base - editable - FAQs, Walkthroughs, Player's advices and many more, generated both from Cloudcade and Players.

In this case we can save non-conflict atmosphere.

The template you have created in Russian looks great. Multi-language support is definitely something we want given that Shop Heroes has become and will increasingly become a global game. With something like this hosted externally, you will have to enlist all the help and support you can get from the community. Of course, we would be more than happy to support these efforts in any way we can.

Retaeiyu wrote:So what's the plan, man?

Should I start creating on the new wiki or revamp the old one? If I'm gonna revamp the old one, I'm going to make it more simple and less bloated.

Or are we doing something else?

I think revamping the existing Wiki is the simplest approach. However, I will leave it to all of you in the community to chime in to see how you want to see the Wikis hosted/managed/revamped. I think that the fact that a handful of you have already answered the call and are actively engaged in making this happen for the players already speaks volume in what the end result will become. Again, our sincerest gratitude to all of you who are actively contributing to these efforts, we will be sure to do something special for all of you in the near future.

Will revamping the Wikia fix the main problem mentioned at the beginning of this thread? The problem of ads and sponsored content. To truly remove ads, you have to host your own wiki. I can host a wiki on my servers if needed.

If CloudCade can send me the images of the newly released packages, I can update http://shopheroes.sols9.com .

Orblit

Postby Orblit » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:10 pm

Shiroe wrote:For your "auto-genarated multilanguage" stuff, it sounds so much more practical to throw some stuff from Richard's spreadsheet into a database, get the translation files from Cloudcade or extract them from the game files and throw those into a database table too and then write some PHP or something around it to fetch the correct info from the database and display it as a webpage instead of doing that through a wiki, for which the premise is "(nearly) everyone can edit (nearly) everything".

I think that extracting the translation strings from the game files would be very advanced stuff, much much harder than getting images, so getting them from CloudCade is the way to go, unless someone wants to type the translations one by one. Though I'm not sure CloudCade is willing to provide the files...

Cloudcade
Cloudcade Staff

Postby Cloudcade » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:14 am

akkordovich wrote:
Yes, i strictly mean non-game texts - which are available now on current resources. But anyway, at first we should make all information up-to-date, so CM team's help from your side will be needed.

Sounds good! Be sure to share the results with the community and add it to the resources section once completed. I will have the new CM team pm you directly to communicate on this matter soon.

Orblit wrote:
Will revamping the Wikia fix the main problem mentioned at the beginning of this thread? The problem of ads and sponsored content. To truly remove ads, you have to host your own wiki. I can host a wiki on my servers if needed.

If CloudCade can send me the images of the newly released packages, I can update http://shopheroes.sols9.com .

Wow, this looks fantastic! We will be sure to share this across our social media as well so that new players can use it as a resource. Will have new CM team pm you directly so that we can provide images for all future released packages.

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:26 am

Orblit wrote:I think that extracting the translation strings from the game files would be very advanced stuff, much much harder than getting images, so getting them from CloudCade is the way to go, unless someone wants to type the translations one by one. Though I'm not sure CloudCade is willing to provide the files...

I haven't looked myself at extracting Unity assets bundles and getting the individual files from them, but I'd expect there to either be 1 textfile structured something like:

gamestring1
[en] english text for the gamestring here
[de] german text for the gamestring here
[cn] chinese text for the gamestring here
gamestring2

or 1 text file per language of the type:

Locale-EN
gamestring1 = english text for the gamestring here
gamestring2 = english text for the gamestring here

Locale-DE
gamestring1 = german text for the gamestring here
gamestring2 = german text for the gamestring here

I highly doubt Cloudcade decided to re-invent the wheel or super-obfuscate such Locale info...
Other than collecting the Unity asset bundle extractors/decompilers, extracting and using the translations would likely be less complicated than me figuring out another app's hero/gear/etc. stats/upgrade costs/etc. from headerless csv "database" files inside the app... ;)
(yes, Cloudcade, as soon as you put something in the client app but don't activate it yet, assume it to be known to the community. But I guess the long (apple) store approval cycle prevents you from keeping those hidden for longer...)
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

internetz
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby internetz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:40 am

unity doesn't use xml files like air/flash, it's text files are packed with headers, so retrieving the data is quite difficult, and to make it worse, the game doesn't contain most of the content, it's streamed from the cdn. The only strings I can decipher from inside the actual game tend to be interface strings, not item data or anything like that.

akkordovich

Postby akkordovich » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:16 am

OK, i created wiki and tried to create autogenerated pages.
So i've got pages in multiple languages from a single DB based on datasheet.
http://shopheroes.space/wiki/RU:%D0%A0% ... 1%82%D1%8B
http://shopheroes.space/wiki/EN:Blueprints:Instruments

If this acceptable - i'll continue to create another types of pages.

Retaeiyu
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Postby Retaeiyu » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:51 pm

After some emails I got us a gamepedia wiki.

https://shopheroes.gamepedia.com/Shop_Heroes_Wiki

https://shopheroes.gamepedia.com/Rings

They say that Cloudcade can also do a "Offical Wiki" program with it as well if that is something they want.

Here a quote from the emails about ads.
" Awesome. We don't have full page ads, and we're actually in the process of re-evaluating and improving the mobile ad experience for our users, so its only going to get better. We do offer a paid subscription that removes ads, as well as providing that service for free to active wiki contributors."

They are very helpful and it's a lot easier to edit then wikidot.

Thoughts?
Retaeiyu#50373

Lionstar
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Postby Lionstar » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:39 pm

Uhm I would like to contribute but it seems like we are spread thin across numerous projects.

We need an executive decision to be made which one are we gonna go with and then everyone should focus our efforts towards that one.

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:16 am

Retaeiyu wrote:After some emails I got us a gamepedia wiki.

https://shopheroes.gamepedia.com/Shop_Heroes_Wiki

https://shopheroes.gamepedia.com/Rings

They say that Cloudcade can also do a "Offical Wiki" program with it as well if that is something they want.

Here a quote from the emails about ads.
" Awesome. We don't have full page ads, and we're actually in the process of re-evaluating and improving the mobile ad experience for our users, so its only going to get better. We do offer a paid subscription that removes ads, as well as providing that service for free to active wiki contributors."

They are very helpful and it's a lot easier to edit then wikidot.

Thoughts?

Well, gamepedia seems to use mediawiki, just like wikia, so other than maybe some templates, chunks of pages should be copy-able.
I think the big gripe about ads was for non-logged-in (mobile) users, so can anyone compare between the two there?
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Return to “General Discussion”