Newbie Guide for Making Gems

Share strategies, experience and tips & tricks.
ShelixAnakasian

Newbie Guide for Making Gems

Postby ShelixAnakasian » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:26 pm

Hey folks!

#1 newbie question, and one I don't ever see in any guides...How do I make gems?

Caveat: If you have to ask how to make gems, you shouldn't be spending them on anything except unlocking cauldron slots until you have three, then upgrading two of those cauldron slots. NOTHING ELSE.

Gem Making 101:

Step 1: Go to the Trade House.
Step 2: Click the "Offers" tab.
Step 3: Filter available offers to show level 1-10 items only.
Step 4: Filter available offers to show Common, good, great items only.
Step 5: Go through each item category, one at a time (Swords/maces/knives/staves/etc) looking for gaps.
Example: Right now, the only available Level 3 crow sticks are 75 gems. For good quality, 93 gems.
Step 6: See a need, fill a need! In this case, make a buttload of crow sticks and list them for 2-3 gems each.

*Bonus points* If the item in question is a Precraft on this list, you will sell them faster.

That's it. Really.

-Shelix

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Re: Newbie Guide for Making Gems

Postby Shiroe » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:33 am

ShelixAnakasian wrote:Hey folks!

#1 newbie question, and one I don't ever see in any guides...How do I make gems?

Because the #1 newbie question is how to make gold, which only later turns into wanting gems...

Gem Making 101:

Step 1: Go to the Trade House.
Step 2: Click the "Offers" tab.
Step 3: Filter available offers to show level 1-10 items only.
Step 4: Filter available offers to show Common, good, great items only.
Step 5: Go through each item category, one at a time (Swords/maces/knives/staves/etc) looking for gaps.
Example: Right now, the only available Level 3 crow sticks are 75 gems. For good quality, 93 gems.
Step 6: See a need, fill a need! In this case, make a buttload of crow sticks and list them for 2-3 gems each.

"how to waste trade slots and polute tradehouse with useless offers that probably will never sell 101"
- unless glitched, players should be locked out from using gems on the tradehouse until playerlevel 20
- the vast majority of low level item offers for gems are likely from lvl 20+ new-ish players that, like you, saw the gem offers, erroniously jumped to the "if there are gem offers, it must sell for gems" conclusion, put up the offers and lots of those people ended up quitting the game before removing the offers.
- until a tradehouse cleanup is done (happened maybe 3-5 times in the existance of the game), offers/request from dead accounts hang around the tradehouse until filled. (which may be never)

*Bonus points* If the item in question is a Precraft on this list, you will sell them faster.

s/sell them faster/actually sell them/

Some mayor gem flows on the tradehouse:
- newer players flipping their gems into gold
- later game players flipping their gold into gems (those 2 shifting are probably mostly responsible for inflation changing gem:gold value from about 1:30k mid 2015 to 1:millions today)
- as you linked, precrafts, particularly those late game players need lots of for their "money" crafts and don't want to waste craft/fuse slots on/those annoying precrafts because of having 1 or more levels of precrafts themselves. Looking for items with hundreds or thousands of requests is a good indication (though some of the high reqs might not be precrafts, but special order items that newer players through lack of tutorial material have misinterpreted as daily once-or-lose-it things... :| (see Special Orders tab of that linked spreadsheet))
- people buying high item quality wearables (mostly ones with good skill, some "0% break chance" range from maxed heroes)
lower gem flow:
- quest artifacts during raid (if offers for gold has run dry en sending heroes to quest instead of raid isn't an option, then for some paying 2 gems (1 after tax) for an artefact can be a better option, so they can start that, say, 40M gold craft instead of leaving the craft slot empty can be an option. (they could then if wanted probably flip the 40M into 4-5 gems for a pretty gem-destructive way of making more gems...)

Order offers/requests are filled: lowest offer/highest request first, if same price then first-in-first-out, so an offer/request can seem to do nothing and then get filled all at once when your slot gets to the front of the queue. (though someone at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9167 claims support told them they stealth-changed that order to favor newer accounts...)
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

ShelixAnakasian

Postby ShelixAnakasian » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 am

Shiroe wrote:"how to waste trade slots and polute tradehouse with useless offers that probably will never sell 101"

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I make about 600 gems a week selling low level items on underserved areas of the market. At L39 without having purchased gems, I have all four cauldron spots, two upgraded cauldrons, 4 upgraded quest slots, two upgraded trade slots, etc.

Like aforementioned crow sticks. Level three crow sticks. No one makes them, so I will make a stack of 10, then stick them up for sale for 3 gems each - they'll clear out in about a day.

I realize that you high and mighty folks can make gems by the thousands with mystical items and whatnot...but this is for newbies, and useful for unlocking fusion cauldron slots. I'm not going to list all the items I make and sell because those are *my* niche markets....but I see a lot of opportunities that I can't take because I don't have infinite trade spots that no one else is taking either.

Shiroe

Postby Shiroe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:22 pm

ShelixAnakasian wrote:Like aforementioned crow sticks. Level three crow sticks. No one makes them, so I will make a stack of 10, then stick them up for sale for 3 gems each - they'll clear out in about a day.

That sounds like a bug. Gem use on the tradehouse should be blocked until level 20 and I sure as heck can't imagine anybody but a day 1-2 newbie with lvl 3 heroes and no clue whatsoever about the value of gems spending gems on a lvl 3 item.
Congrats on finding an audience that shouldn't exist and therefor people aren't producing for.

I realize that you high and mighty folks can make gems by the thousands with mystical items and whatnot...but this is for newbies, and useful for unlocking fusion cauldron slots. I'm not going to list all the items I make and sell because those are *my* niche markets....but I see a lot of opportunities that I can't take because I don't have infinite trade spots that no one else is taking either.

Nah, at your 600 gems/week from tradehouse you're probably keeping up with lots and lots of higher level/later game people; heck it's about the equivalent of 5G gold flipped to gems. If getting high-value mythicals was easy, there wouldn't be so much complaints about the fuse times of lvl 50-55 items and fusion boost furniture from certain packs seemingly not boosting, like they were expected to do, the success chance above the normal 63% (probably 62.5% rounded up) of 5x legendary -> mythical fuses. (and if getting the mythicals was easy, they wouldn't have a high gem value because of that... ;) )
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Hime

Postby Hime » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Shiroe wrote:
ShelixAnakasian wrote:Like aforementioned crow sticks. Level three crow sticks. No one makes them, so I will make a stack of 10, then stick them up for sale for 3 gems each - they'll clear out in about a day.

That sounds like a bug. Gem use on the tradehouse should be blocked until level 20 and I sure as heck can't imagine anybody but a day 1-2 newbie with lvl 3 heroes and no clue whatsoever about the value of gems spending gems on a lvl 3 item.
Congrats on finding an audience that shouldn't exist and therefor people aren't producing for.

If people going to pay for it, what's the problem lol that's how free market works.
Almost every garbage item has someone selling it for 2 gems. If no one's selling it, then maybe someone's buying them up.

I've made hundreds of gems selling good long mail and that's like 16k gold per gem lol
Any pre-craft has a better chance of selling for gems, cause someone doesn't want to bother making it themselves.

Maybe the concern is that newbies will later on realize they made a mistake buying it up with gems, but I don't think that should be enough reason to bar people from selling whatever they want however they want.

Shiroe

Postby Shiroe » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:57 am

Hime wrote:
Shiroe wrote:

If people going to pay for it, what's the problem lol that's how free market works.
Almost every garbage item has someone selling it for 2 gems. If no one's selling it, then maybe someone's buying them up.

I've made hundreds of gems selling good long mail and that's like 16k gold per gem lol
Any pre-craft has a better chance of selling for gems, cause someone doesn't want to bother making it themselves.

Maybe the concern is that newbies will later on realize they made a mistake buying it up with gems, but I don't think that should be enough reason to bar people from selling whatever they want however they want.

I care, because I care about bugs. As said, level 1-19 players should be blocked from using gems on the tradehouse. (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7961 Nerf This! section)

A level 3 skill-less item consistently selling for gems should be like "plain glass jar filled with sand, $100" selling well in a desert or someone doing 10+ broken gear repairs in a row. (AKA: not making sense at all...)
I can't find starter levels of heroes in the spreadsheet, but the latter half of them probably are already beyond "0%" range of even legendary/mythical lvl 3 items...

Please give a scenario where a level 20+ player spending gems on a level 3 skill-less item makes sense; more than likely all his/her heroes would already have leveled past/start higher than level 3 and by level 20 they kind of should have a clue that wasting gems on simple gear is not smart.
The only scenario I can think of is that the lvl 1-19 tradehouse gem blocking is malfunctioning on a massive scale, which would also bring gem seller websites (one of the mayor reasons for that block) back into play. :( (dozens/hundreds of alt giving their easy early levelup gems to one account, that one account then selling those gems to players for dollars/euros/etc.)

Unless the pre-craft is super annoying, most of the precrafts selling for gems are doing so because
the
buy precraft for gems -> craft final item -> sell final item for gold -> flip to gems
pipeline will have better gem return per day than the
craft (-and-trash or fuse) precraft -> craft final item -> sell final item for gold -> flip to gems
pipeline or it signficantly speeds up progress per day towards that lvl 50+ wearable myth (but I don't think many of those have precrafts below level 30...).

edit: And I still think the vast mayority of the "low level items for gems" offers are by dead newbie accounts on the principle of "if someone offers for gems, then surely someone must be buying" bandwagoning/jumping to conclusions caused by dead offfers/request cleanups being so infrequent; of course you could say those buying plain glass jars filled with sand for $100 in a desert deserve what they get, but a real market wouldn't keep the market stalls of dead people (with unrealistic prices) around nearly forever... -_-

tobmat

Postby tobmat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:14 am

I´m a new player and only hit lvl 20 yesterday. So I can confirm that you can buy with gems starting from lvl one. Only the selling with gems is blocked until lvl 20. And I think this is a feature and not a bug. If they would block the buying with gems until lvl 20, nobody would buy gems for real money until then.

Shiroe

Postby Shiroe » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:00 am

tobmat wrote:I´m a new player and only hit lvl 20 yesterday. So I can confirm that you can buy with gems starting from lvl one. Only the selling with gems is blocked until lvl 20. And I think this is a feature and not a bug. If they would block the buying with gems until lvl 20, nobody would buy gems for real money until then.

That's odd and possibly a bug or else silently changed. Quoting from that link:
Increased Minimum Level to trade with gems from 15 to 20 (now also affects incoming gems rather than outgoing only)

@Darkis/Tethys: which is it? Blocked both ways for most, but bugged for some to let it work one or both ways?
(In world chat we seem to encounter both "I tried to buy an item on the tradehouse with gems, but it didn't work" (< level 20 lockout) and "I could buy on the tradehouse yesterday with gems, but not today" (48 hour lockout after buying gems on Steam as a < lvl 20 account))

And newbies get offered plenty of gem spending options before they pass the tradehouse gem unlock playerlevel (early slot unlocks, chest openings, city building upgrades (not smart), furniture upgrade quick finish (not smart), repairing (not smart), refilling resources (not smart), etc...)

Ronin
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Ronin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:02 pm

Shiroe wrote:Please give a scenario where a level 20+ player spending gems on a level 3 skill-less item makes sense; more than likely all his/her heroes would already have leveled past/start higher than level 3 and by level 20 they kind of should have a clue that wasting gems on simple gear is not smart.

People do stuff that doesn't make sense all the time.

If you end up with empty trade slots, you'd be surprised at what you craft in 2 mins and get away with selling at 2 gems overnight.

Tethys
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Tethys » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:41 pm

@Shiroe, nothing has changed on our end that would affect that system nor have we gotten any reports that would suggest otherwise (except from tobmat) so as far as we can tell it's an anomaly. Regardless I'll pass it on to the team to see if they can investigate it further.
Need to contact the support team? Follow this link to do so: https://cloudcade.helpshift.com/a/shop-heroes/

Return to “Strategy & Guides”