Cold War! BRRRRR!

Share strategies, experience and tips & tricks.
River
"Great" Mastery Member

Re: Cold War! BRRRRR!

Postby River » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:13 am

Shiroe wrote:
Lionstar wrote:Im very confused about this thread...

Are we supposed to be guessing what Cold War is or start setting up some unrealistic expectations or just come up wild speculations?

My interpretation was that it's a not yet super successful attempt to instead of having a simple "here's what Cold War is" topic try to turn it into a game of "try to guess what Cold War is!" and Darkis will hint how close or far from the truth we are.

Let's give it a try.
If your city wins, you can nuke the opponent city and reset all its progress, you can plunder the opponent's resources and enslave its members. Your city gains new decos too (an arch of triumph and a triumphal column) in addition to the possibility to write "my city rules" on the loser's city wall.

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:44 am

River wrote:
Shiroe wrote:a game of "try to guess what Cold War is!" and Darkis will hint how close or far from the truth we are.

Let's give it a try.
If your city wins, you can nuke the opponent city and reset all its progress, you can plunder the opponent's resources and enslave its members. Your city gains new decos too (an arch of triumph and a triumphal column) in addition to the possibility to write "my city rules" on the loser's city wall.

lol. Nah, that's such a done-to-death/13-in-a-dozen feature of too many freemium games... ;)

Hmm how about this: your heroes ask you to craft them a full set of 7 common+ gear from your unlocked blueprints before they'll head off to go chip away at the matched opponent city's walls. (not sure how to balance the ticking down of wall health as the heroes hit it with different timezones; tradehouse/city req could be used for precrafts, but final gear for the heroes should be craft-only made during the Cold War timeframe.)
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

River
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby River » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:13 am

Shiroe wrote:not sure how to balance [...] with different timezones

I play from Italy. Here raid & co start at 02:00 AM (during REM sleep :lol: ).
I hope city vs city envent follows different times.

Shiroe

Postby Shiroe » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:15 am

River wrote:
Shiroe wrote:not sure how to balance [...] with different timezones

I play from Italy. Here raid & co start at 02:00 AM (during REM sleep :lol: ).
I hope city vs city envent follows different times.

I know the feeling; the Netherlands here.
On summertime/DST I mostly start my raiding when I wake up friday morning, since raid start at 02:00h is kind of late-ish, on wintertime, I mostly send my first parties out at 01:00h friday and then go to bed.

The server being worldwide makes it difficult to do anything but "get the most of 'X' within multiples of 24 hours".
"complete 'Y' the quickest" is hard to implement [1], and "do this thing at/close to date+time 'Z' " is also problematic, as can be seen by the PVP last 15 minutes ranking scramble and the complaints about it.

[1] I guess you could have players/cities trigger their own start signal instead of a server side start signal and then compare durations from starts to finisheds at the end of the event.
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

GamingStepbyStep

Postby GamingStepbyStep » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:21 am

Well, we have been given a few clues already.

1: Cold War
2: City vs City
3: Pvp
4: Resources

1: The cold war was really just mass production of armaments, so that's my first guess -> Mass production / gathering of something vs
2: other cities. which also covers point #3.
4: Either it will take a lot of resources (mass producing usually does) or we will gain a lot of resources from being the highest?

Master Builder 007

Postby Master Builder 007 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:21 pm

GamingStepbyStep wrote:Well, we have been given a few clues already.

1: Cold War
2: City vs City
3: Pvp
4: Resources

1: The cold war was really just mass production of armaments, so that's my first guess -> Mass production / gathering of something vs
2: other cities. which also covers point #3.
4: Either it will take a lot of resources (mass producing usually does) or we will gain a lot of resources from being the highest?

That's a solid guess, but I'm going to give you the actual answer.

The cold war is PvP but with winter pets. There will be penguins, polar bears, wolves, jack rabbits, and other winter animals. You've got to craft the pet's war armor for each event and at the end of the event, they fight. If you lose, your winter pet dies and you have to adopt a new pet at the start of the next event, which you are far less attached to. If you win, the pet collects your resources automatically for the week. You are randomly paired up against another player of an equal sized city and the cumulative number of wins determines the which city wins. If your city wins, you either revive your pet if you lost your individual battle or your pet gains an additional superpower for that week if you won your individual battle. The superpower may be the ability to read minds, the ability to sell your mythic gear at random prices on the trade house, the ability to eat your mythic gear, or the ability to join another city at random.

I didn't want to give out all of the details like this, but since I have, Darkis can go ahead and confirm it.

Speadie
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Speadie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:01 am

Really excited about city vs city competitions. Personally I hope its crafting competitions.

Do we know if its due in the August Update?

Shiroe

Postby Shiroe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:10 am

Speadie wrote:Really excited about city vs city competitions. Personally I hope its crafting competitions.

:) I like crafting. I always tried to join the few craftbar events Abqu ran.

I hope the city emblems don't have a strong Cold War link, since if for ex. those would influence Cold War matchmaking, you could build a "nice" abuse situation around that. (cities arranging matching or avoiding eachother; I'm casually playing another game where the war rankings are determined by alliances of dozens of guilds making sure to give eachother easy high points)

Speadie
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Speadie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:29 pm

I wanna be positive about CvC, I really do. But with all the rumours, we just dont know what to believe anymore. Is it happening? Is there an ETA? Will there be testing prior to it being released? With such vagueness we just dont know whats going on and whether its worth the wait.

Leaving people in the dark because of possible delays and changes is making people start to think CvC isnt going to happen. :-(

Dizzle
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby Dizzle » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:10 pm

Speadie wrote:I wanna be positive about CvC, I really do. But with all the rumours, we just dont know what to believe anymore. Is it happening? Is there an ETA? Will there be testing prior to it being released? With such vagueness we just dont know whats going on and whether its worth the wait.

Leaving people in the dark because of possible delays and changes is making people start to think CvC isnt going to happen. :-(

Sounds like we need some sort of happy medium. Cc releases too much info and everyone loses their minds if something doesn't make the cut or gets delayed. Cc releases too little and everyone thinks there is some grand scheme behind keeping things quiet.

(I personally like the idea of knowing what's going on, but I personally don't get upset when things get pushed back or omitted, because coding is a (expletive) -- note this isn't directed at you, speadie, just on the idea presented.)

Return to “Strategy & Guides”