City Search shows different results for different players

Report a bug or find troubleshooting tips for known issues.
Forum rules
Before starting a thread, please check to make sure that others have not already reported the same issue. When reporting a bug, please try to provide a screenshot and to describe the proper instance in order for us to replicate the issue. After an issue has been confirmed and/or fixed on our end, the topic for it will be locked to prevent further reports. For all payment related issues, please open a ticket at http://cloudcade.helpshift.com to receive immediate support.
Arty
"Good" Mastery Member

City Search shows different results for different players

Postby Arty » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Occasionally, some people aren't able to find cities (in the city search) which others can find. Usually I ignored those as cases of misspelling, but an incident today made me reconsider, and I investigated a bit.

• Searching for "AS Town" produced different results among players:
    • Only 1 player (Facebook) had as result the two cities "AS Town" and "Janas Town". (The player is a chat regular, and I am confident that she didn't lie.)
    • 8 players (incl. myself; 4x Steam, 2x Kongregate, 2x Android) had as result only the city "Janas Town" but not the actual city "AS Town". (Varying search strings also didn't result in "AS Town" showing up as a result.
    • 2 players (1x Android, 1x iOS) said that they had 0 results (i.e. not even "Janas Town"). Edit: Apparently that was simply because those players had a level below the required min-level of "Janas Town".
    • Unfortunately I couldn't get a response from the player from "AS Town" (who kinda started this with their recruitment in chat) about whether they could find their own city in the city search, or whether the city is set to private or not.
      Edit: Apparently, the city is set to private (thanks for checking, Kim), so the one player who could see it as search result got the "wrong" result.
  • The search for the city "Aaçhquell" (I asked people to only search for "quell" because of the special character) also yielded different results among players:
    • 4 players (incl. myself; 1x Steam, 2x Kongregate, 1x Android) found the city.
    • 3 players (all Android) couldn't find the city.
      Two of them were the same two players who had the empty results for "AS Town" above (the other hadn't tested "AS Town").
    Edit: Apparently, those differences simply occurred because some players were below the required min-level of the city Aaçhquell. (If you don't adjust the min level in the City Finder then cities with too high min level don't even show up.)
  • One of the Android players who couldn't find "Aaçhquell" (the one who hadn't tested "AS Town") claimed that this is because he can never find cities that are full (which "Aaçhquell" is). Unfortunately he left before I found another full city to test this on, and everyone else found the other full city ("Zeeglonia"), even the two other players who had not found "Aaçhquell", so I am casting doubt on that claim. Edit:That "full city" claim of that player was doubtful to begin with, and his experience can easily be explained by the "level too low to see the city".

Those findings are somewhat surprising. I had assumed that the search is completely server-side, and that there wouldn't be differences between players/devices/platforms. Of course I also can't guarantee that everyone spelled everything correctly and was truthful in the tests.
Edit:So it turns out that most of the issues came simply from the fact that a public city's level requirement also determines its visibility in the City Finder unless a player switches the min-level setting in the City Finder from 0 (default) to something >0. I didn't realize that it worked this way.
The one remaining unexplained thing is that there was one player who could find the private city "AS Town".
Last edited by Arty on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:41 am, edited 6 times in total.

Kim!
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Re: City Search shows different results for different players

Postby Kim! » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Unfortunately I couldn't get a response from the player from "AS Town" (who kinda started this with their recruitment in chat) about whether they could find their own city in the city search, or whether the city is set to private or not.

AS Town is private (gray join button) so it shouldn't show up for anyone on city finder. Also, I don't think it lets us find our own city on city finder regardless of public/private but I'm not 100% sure on that one. ^^;

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:54 am

Kim! wrote:Also, I don't think it lets us find our own city on city finder regardless of public/private but I'm not 100% sure on that one. ^^;

Yep, just verified that with my authorized alt that's in a public city: my main can find that city in city finder, my alt can't.

But they really should have made it a tri-state setting instead of just public/private:
- visible in city finder and anyone can join
- visible in city finder and invite-only
- hidden from city finder and invite-only
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Arty
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby Arty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:44 am

Shiroe wrote:But they really should have made it a tri-state setting instead of just public/private:

A bit off-topic but coincidentally we just had a small discussion about exactly this an hour ago. Could the second option possibly be achieved by simply setting the level-requirement to level 99? That would depend on whether that level requirement affects only uninvited joining or also invites from the city, which we didn't know the answer to.

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:24 am

Arty wrote:
Shiroe wrote:But they really should have made it a tri-state setting instead of just public/private:

A bit off-topic but coincidentally we just had a small discussion about exactly this an hour ago. Could the second option possibly be achieved by simply setting the level-requirement to level 99? That would depend on whether that level requirement affects only uninvited joining or also invites from the city, which we didn't know the answer to.

As far as I understood, invites overrule the set level req. Nice idea about setting level 99, but city finder seems to give it a no-go right now. :(
BrainDamages, rank 4 networth, seems to be set to public with a level req of 55 and doesn't show up in city finder.
Elmwood City, rank 8 networth with level req of 50, shows in the city finder for my main, but not for my authorized alt.

edit: wait, maybe being being below/above the level req is some of the reason for the differences you saw?
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Arty
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby Arty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:13 am

Shiroe wrote:As far as I understood, invites overrule the set level req. Nice idea about setting level 99, but city finder seems to give it a no-go right now. :(
BrainDamages, rank 4 networth, seems to be set to public with a level req of 55 and doesn't show up in city finder.
Elmwood City, rank 8 networth with level req of 50, shows in the city finder for my main, but not for my authorized alt.

edit: wait, maybe being being below/above the level req is some of the reason for the differences you saw?

Oh! I hadn't even thought of the possibility that the level requirement already affects the city finder. So visibility (in the city finder) is identical to uninvited joinability. Too bad. Edit: No, there is a way out (see below).
And that likely explains the differences in finding Aaçhquell. They have a level requirement of 29, and I know that one of the people who couldn't find it is below that level (don't remember the level of the other one) while the ones who could see it (as far as I remember their level) were above.

Edit: Someone pointed out to me that you can specify a "Min. Required Level" in the City Finder (something that I had never even noticed). Apparently that allows you to see cities with a high level requirement. Simply increasing "Min. Required Level" from 0 to 1 in the City Finder allowed me to find cities with a Lvl-99-Requirement. There is even one city with a level requirement of 999999999999. :-)

Return to “Bugs & Issues”