- Searching for "AS Town" produced different results among players:
- Only 1 player (Facebook) had as result the two cities "AS Town" and "Janas Town". (The player is a chat regular, and I am confident that she didn't lie.)
- 8 players (incl. myself; 4x Steam, 2x Kongregate, 2x Android) had as result only the city "Janas Town" but not the actual city "AS Town". (Varying search strings also didn't result in "AS Town" showing up as a result.
- 2 players (1x Android, 1x iOS) said that they had 0 results (i.e. not even "Janas Town"). Edit: Apparently that was simply because those players had a level below the required min-level of "Janas Town".
- Unfortunately I couldn't get a response from the player from "AS Town" (who kinda started this with their recruitment in chat) about whether they could find their own city in the city search, or whether the city is set to private or not.
Edit: Apparently, the city is set to private (thanks for checking, Kim), so the one player who could see it as search result got the "wrong" result.
- The search for the city "Aaçhquell" (I asked people to only search for "quell" because of the special character) also yielded different results among players:
- 4 players (incl. myself; 1x Steam, 2x Kongregate, 1x Android) found the city.
- 3 players (all Android) couldn't find the city.
Two of them were the same two players who had the empty results for "AS Town" above (the other hadn't tested "AS Town").
- One of the Android players who couldn't find "Aaçhquell" (the one who hadn't tested "AS Town") claimed that this is because he can never find cities that are full (which "Aaçhquell" is). Unfortunately he left before I found another full city to test this on, and everyone else found the other full city ("Zeeglonia"), even the two other players who had not found "Aaçhquell", so I am casting doubt on that claim. Edit:That "full city" claim of that player was doubtful to begin with, and his experience can easily be explained by the "level too low to see the city".
Those findings are somewhat surprising. I had assumed that the search is completely server-side, and that there wouldn't be differences between players/devices/platforms. Of course I also can't guarantee that everyone spelled everything correctly and was truthful in the tests.
Edit:So it turns out that most of the issues came simply from the fact that a public city's level requirement also determines its visibility in the City Finder unless a player switches the min-level setting in the City Finder from 0 (default) to something >0. I didn't realize that it worked this way.
The one remaining unexplained thing is that there was one player who could find the private city "AS Town".